Jewelry Care Guide
We encourage you to take good care of your jewelry. The below tips will help you enjoy your jewelry for many years.
- Keep your jewelry away from prolonged contact with water.
- Avoid contact with household chemicals, perfumes, lotions and hairsprays. Chemical contained in these products may cause the finish to dull and cause irreversible and damage.
- Do not wear jewelry in a swimming pool, jacuzzi, sauna/steam room or in the ocean. Chlorinated water in swimming pools will 'oxidize' and blacken your jewelry, which can be hard or even impossible to remove, and the cleaning process can alter the finish of your jewelry irreversibly.
- Do not wear your jewelry whilst taking part in strenuous activity, manual labor, weeding the garden, and any situation where the chain may become snagged etc.
- Avoid situations where jewelry can get banged/scraped. Do not wear bracelets with other heavy jewelry that will scratch it.
- To prevent build up of grease etc, wash jewelry regularly in warm sudsy water and a mild dishwashing liquid. Gently pat dry with a soft towel afterwards.
All of our jewelry is made with great workmanship and if cared for, our jewelry can last many years. Many factors can influence the wear and tear of your jewelry, so if you find that your jewelry needs repairing, please contact us at info@lucajewelry.
- Sterling silver may naturally tarnish overtime. The rate of tarnishing cannot be determined and depends on many factors. To avoid tarnish, it’s best to wear your silver jewelry daily. When not wearing, please store your silver jewelry in a plastic zip lock bag with the air removed.
- The shine may be restored by polishing surfaces with a professional polishing cloth, such as ‘Sunshine brand polishing cloth’.
- If your silver jewelry has excessively tarnished, a more thorough cleaning may be required. Dipping in a silver cleaning solution, such as 'Hagerty Silver Clean' is advised.
14k GOLD FILLED
- Sunshine' brand polishing cloths can be used to restore the shine of nameplates, by gently wiping over. Do not use acid based cleaning solutions not manufactured for cleaning gold filled jewelry, such as 'Connoisseurs Silver Cleaning Solution', as these products will strip away a thin layer of your gold filled metal, leaving it irreversibly damaged.
- Remove jewelry when doing households tasks. Avoid impact with hard surfaces as much as possible.
WHAT IS 14K GOLD FILLED METAL?
14k gold fill is a great alternative to solid gold as it is a genuine layer of 14k gold permanently bonded onto base metal with heat and pressure. It is far superior to gold plating, contains far more gold and has more value. It does not ‘chip’ or ‘flake’ off as does regular ‘gold plating’. The finish can last many years if cared for.